One of the things I’ve been trying to do lately is give myself regular treats.
Not rewards for working hard or for accomplishing anything in particular. Just little daily niceties as a reminder to treat myself nicely, to enjoy the little things, and to slow down a bit.
The problem is, I don’t want to always reward myself with material things, because I don’t like the idea of relying on spending money to feel better. Plus, I tend to think that spending money is the opposite of slowing down (since that money has to come from somewhere, you’ve usually traded your time for it).
Here are a few ways I’ve tried to treat myself lately:
- A hot bath and a good book (usually from the library, though I’m enjoying the subscription to The Paris Review Kenn got me for Christmas.)
- Sitting in front of a roaring fire at the end of a long cold winter day (Kenn’s been doing the upside down fire method, it’s awesome).
- Taking time to sew something for myself or my house (preferably with a cup of tea close at hand).
- Giving myself a manicure.
- Packing some delicious food and going for a hike.
I was curious if any of you guys had more suggestions.
What are some good ways to treat yourself that don’t involve buying things?