The March issue of Seamwork is up and ready for you to read!
This month, we’re celebrating the road to spring with a theme of “transitions.” We’ve created versatile, changeable, multi-season patterns; ideas for ways you can make the same garments in any season; and some brand new columns to round things out.
In this issue:
- Fabric Swaps for Every Season: Get ideas and tips for choosing fabrics for your patterns year round. Plus play around with our interactive Fabric Swap Diagram!
- How to Sew a V-Neck T-Shirt: A step by step guide to sewing a perfect, flattering neckline.
- Farm to Fabric: The Story of Wool by Devon Iott: Take a look behind the scenes at a small-scale wool operation.
- Behind the Seams: Take an in depth look at an intricate knit dress from the 1960s.
- Make it Reversible: We explore the idea of making garments reversible, and how you can add more versatility to your wardrobe.
- Block Paper Scissors by Devon Iott: Learn new patternmaking skills from Devon in this lesson in dart manipulation.
- Discoveries: We’ve rounded up the little things making us happy this month.
- [Fabric Swaps for Every Season]
- Handmade Beauty: Relax and enjoy a fragrant, luscious soak with this recipe for Rose Milk Bath.
Some favorite quotes from this issue:
“Clothing tells your story; if part of that story is your relationship to the current season, you can use color to express that.”
“The secret to maintaining a small closet without getting bored is to aim for versatility in every piece.”
“For thousands of years, the story of wool has been entwined with that of humanity’s” – Devon Iott
And here are the two new quick-to-sew patterns in this issue:
Aberdeen is a beautiful tunic that is equal parts comfortable and flattering. This top can be sewn in a wide variety of fabrics, making it suitable for all seasons. Sew it up in lightweight jersey for the summer, and try soft sweater knits for the fall and winter.
Osaka is a simple little reversible skirt that is highly functional and fun to wear. In just under 3 hours you can have two brand new skirts in your closet with this workhorse garment. We provide two different cutting layouts for pairing up your fabrics, but we hope you’ll get creative and dream up your own unique combinations!